We all know the frustration when you wake up with a spot on your face. You go to bed feeling radiant, refreshed and revitalised after carefully and meticulously applying your step by step skincare regime, and then you wake up in the morning with a new friend that has appeared on your face overnight. Great.
When suffering from acne, often you can’t even remember the last time you woke up without a new breakout. It can be debilitating both physically and mentally.
You might feel like you’ve tried everything, but nothing seems to work. Acne can cause embarrassment and lower your self-esteem. But it shouldn’t. It’s important to remember that acne is a skin condition that causes spots, oily skin and can cause painful lesions on the face, back and chest, not something that you have caused (although there are some top tips you can follow to help – check out my blog on acne here).
Generally, acne is not considered a medical condition. However, it can be quite debilitating both personally and socially. That’s why I’m here to help and talk to you about the acne treatments that can effectively treat acne and help you on your journey to achieving clear, beautiful skin that you’re not embarrassed by.
Facts About Acne
- Acne causes and symptoms vary from individual to individual, and therefore the treatment plan should always be entirely bespoke
- Acne left untreated can lead to permanent scarring
- Despite acne being associated with puberty and teenagers, acne breakouts can occur from infancy all the way through to middle-age and beyond – women are particularly prone to acne during the menopausal years
Acne Treatment Option
Anna Medical Aesthetics offers a variety of private acne treatments in Swindon to address the symptoms of acne and skin problems, helping our clients obtain clearer, more beautiful skin that lasts.
Medical grade peels are effective exfoliating treatments that use chemical solutions to remove the outer layers of the skin.
ZO® Skin Health provide specialised formulations to keep acne-prone skin healthy, clear and improve the appearance of the skin’s surface.
Voted Best UK Manufacturer 2018 and UK Treatment of The Year for five consecutive years at the Aesthetic Awards, Dermalux deliver safe and effective acne treatment without discomfort or downtime.
HydraFacial® is a non-surgical skin renewal option that takes the standard facial several steps further, offering both women and men of virtually all ages and skin types a quick and gentle way of improving common skin conditions such as acne, acne scars, oily skin, clogged and enlarged pores.
Clear Skin Can Start at Anna Medical Aesthetis
Anna is committed to helping you enjoy clearer, healthier skin throughout every phase of your life. To find out more about your options in acne treatment, acne scarring treatment and skin health, contact us today on 01793 959010 or schedule your consultation using our convenient online booking platform.
Types of Acne Breakouts:
Blackheads – Clogged pores that are open, revealing the oil and bacteria
Whiteheads – Clogged pores that remain closed
Papules – Small red bumps that are visible signs of inflammation and may feel tender or sore
Pustules/Pimples – Enlarged papules with pus inside
Nodules – Painful, large lumps beneath the skin’s surface
Cystic Lesions – Nodules that contain pus that look similar to boils and carry the greatest risk of causing permanent scarring
What Causes of Acne?
- There are multiple reasons as to why individuals get acne. The physical explanation is that pores become blocked with dead skin cells. Usually, these cells would naturally slough off the surface of the skin, but in the case of acneic skins, the dermis produces excess oil (sebum) and this causes the dead skin cells to become sticky and get stuck together within the pore. A bacteria known as P. acne (Propionibacterium) can worsen acne by causing inflammation around the pore. As the bacteria multiply, this can lead to the formation of a cyst or nodule.
- Genetics also have a large role to play. A twin study was carried out, which proved that 81% of the factors that cause acne are genetic. In addition to this, the amount of sebum that is produced is generally inherited.
- Despite the media often reporting otherwise, there is no scientific proof to show that acne can be caused or worsened by your diet or consuming certain foods. By the same token, good nutrition will only benefit your health and ultimately, the health of your skin. Some people do believe that certain foods can have a negative impact on their skin.
- Ensuring suitable skincare and makeup is crucial with acne sufferers as many products can be comedogenic themselves (which means that they can block pores and cause blackheads).
- There are other factors that may worsen or increase your risk of acne – thsese include hormonal fluctuations, certain medications, and stress. Unfortunately, even when you manage to get your acne under control, often you can be left with constant reminders of your problematic skin due to acne scarring, but rest assured, this can be treated.